Sunday, March 1, 2009

Marathon volunteers

We volunteered at the Waco Miracle Marathon today. It started out as a chance for Stephanie to get a service point for her school service organization, but our whole family volunteered. We had to be at the location by 7:45 to get ready: pour cups of water and Gatorade and be ready to hand them to the runners as they passed by. We were at the top of a hill at Mile 7, so the runners were happy to get a drink. It was 27 degrees when we started and only about 40 degrees when we finished our stint. Rachel was pretty well dressed for the cold but Stephanie had on ankle-high socks and thin Converse tennis shoes and her feet were frozen.

4 comments:

  1. brrr... and you had those lovely spring blossoms earlier this week! I'm sure the runners were happy to get a drink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great family project to volunteer together. I want to do some of that with my kids but my job schedule makes it difficult. Cute photo of Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But stephanie probably looked good and that's what's important! That's a great photo of Rachel and the runner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for volunteer opportunities for B and I, too...this may be a good idea for us....

    Rachel looks great! Love the pink boots!

    ReplyDelete